What to do about an auto accident for which I was at fault?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an auto accident for which I was at fault?

My insurer has informed me that the other driver has hired a lawyer. It has now sent me a letter stating that other driver’s attorney has asked for limits on my auto policy. Should I release the information on my auto policy as demanded by the other driver’s lawyer? And should I hire my own attorney or let my insurance company handle it?

Asked on February 8, 2014 under Accident Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should let your insurance company handle it.  The key question is whether you have enough coverage that paying the limit will cover the other driver's damages, such that he won't feel compelled to come after you personally for the difference.  Release the information and hope the other driver is willing to settle for the limit or less.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption