How much is my case worth if I had trip and fall in the common area of my apartment complex?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much is my case worth if I had trip and fall in the common area of my apartment complex?

There was about a 6 inch tear in the stair carpet that the heel of my shoe got stuck in. I sustained a right wrist bruising, strained ACL, bruising and possible shifting of my right knee replacement and lower back pain. I am on social security disability and have medicare which only pays 80% of my medical bills. I saw my primary care physician who took xrays and referred me to an orthopedist who provided me with a knee brace to wear. After a few days I quit wearing the brace because I was having terrible back pain. The ACL is healing and should be ok within 2 to 3 months. I do not have the money to see a chiropractor for the back pain.

Asked on January 14, 2014 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

For a definitive answer, you have to speak with a personal injury attorney who can evaluate all the specifics in detail. That said, I recently was involved in a case involving similar injuries that settled--afte three years of litigation--for approximately $17,000. In an injury case, you are entitled to your unreimbursed or out-of-pocket medical costs; lost wages--which do not appear to be a factor in your case--and often some amount of "pain and suffering." Pain and suffering is related to the degree of pain or disability and its duration. If the bulk of the injuries (e.g. the ACL) will be resolved in a few months, that typically does not support a large pain and suffering award.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption