If I can’t get a doctor’s note for my employer regarding time off, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I can’t get a doctor’s note for my employer regarding time off, what can I do?

I had surgery last week. I was supposed to return to work today but am not able to return because the doctor who performed the surgery neglected to leave a doctor’s note after the operation. I have called and left messages for him at his office several times a day since but have had no response. I am off work without pay and have a family I am supposed to be supporting and cant now. Is there any legal action I can take to compensate me for all this. It’s very upsetting knowing I have rent coming up and no income due to his unprofessionalism.

Asked on September 8, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no action you can take in regards to your doctor not providing a note: while it may be unprofessional, a doctor is not actually under any duty or obligation to provide such a note to your employer. In the absence of a duty or obligation which the doctor violated, he has not done anything legally wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption