What should I do regarding a medical malpractice suit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do regarding a medical malpractice suit?

I had skin surgery on the bridge of my nose, very thin skin area, heavy bleeding. It was sutured with non-dissolvable sutures. A week later I went to have the sutures removed. It was still scabbed over somewhat, so I was told it was all done and make a follow up appointment in 3 months. Well 2 weeks later, as the scabs are falling away, there are pieces of suture sticking out of my skin. On one side, I finally picked it off a scab there is a gaping hole and deep down inside that hole is a stitch. There is also 1 or 2 others completely under the skin. I know this will require plastic surgery to fix. I don’t know if I should return to the same doctor as this may be a lawsuit?

Asked on December 17, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Take care of your health first, worry about a lawsuit second. If you basically trust the first doctor, consult with him or her again and see if the healing process is occuring correctly, whether there are any complications, and if you need some additional procedure. Assuming you trust the first doctor and have no compelling evidence of bad medical practice, as a practical matter, it's probably better to stick with him or her.
If you have doubts or concerns, get a second opinion. If the second opinion is that everything is ok, you can continue with the first doctor. If the second opinion is there's a problem, seek care for the issue and consult with a malpractice attorney to law the groundwork for a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption