Can addiction could be grounds for an annulment?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can addiction could be grounds for an annulment?

I just found out my husband is addicted to pain killers. He has been taking money out of our savings, an account to which only I contribute, to pay for the pills. In the last month he has taken over $500out of the account. He is also an alcoholic who has been “sober” for a year. Within that year he has been taking pain killers and telling me he is clean.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This would most likely not be grounds for annulment, though clearly you could divorce him. Annulment is usually only for matters going to the heart of marriage: for example, one person is underage; one person is mentally incompetent (and so could not enter into marriage); a person lied about his or her sexual orientation or desire for children. Other bad behavior plays a role in divorce, but does not give rise to grounds for annulment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption