Whatare my rightsif I got divorcedyears agobut my attorney is just sending me a bill after terminating her services?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatare my rightsif I got divorcedyears agobut my attorney is just sending me a bill after terminating her services?

The divorce lawyer I considered hiring three years ago I quickly cam to terms that she was unorganized and lied. I terminated her services with a legal letter and told her I was going to report her to the state bar. I didn’t proceed to contact the bar because I thought she was agreeing to drop the fees that were not true to fact. 3years later I am receiving a bill plus interest that is now double the original billed amount. Her breakdown of fees is wrong and I should not be responsible for her fees of not doing anything and making matters worse. What can I do?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are receiving invoices from an attorney that you were dissatisfied with years ago for services rendered where you had not received an invoice for, I would write her about the situation asking for an explanation for the charges and see what the response it. Keep a copy of the letter for future use.

If the attorney pushes the issue for payment, you have the option to request arbitation over the dispute with the county bar association and/or make a complaint against the attorney with the state bar/county bar.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption