What to do about a breach of an oral agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a breach of an oral agreement?

I had an oral agreement with my landlord that I would get $400 for finding new tenants. When I asked for it, I only got $300, with them claiming that there was a $100 fine for a noise disturbance that happened after we ended the lease. I lived with 3 other people but I got hit with the full fine. Do I have any legal recourse against him?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An oral agreement or contract is legally enforceable: you could sue to recover this money. Bear in mind that 1) you'd have to prove the existence and terms of the contract, which can be difficult when there is nothing in writing; and 2) even in small claims court, you'd have to pay a filing fee (typically around $25 to $30), which will effectively reduce what you hope to receive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption