What to do if I had a car accident 9 years ago for which I was not at fault but a lawsuit has been brought against me?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had a car accident 9 years ago for which I was not at fault but a lawsuit has been brought against me?

I didn’t get arrested or even got a ticket. A while back I found out that a lawsuit was brought up against me from that. Is there a statue of limitations on such a lawsuit?

Asked on September 5, 2014 under Accident Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to refer the matter to the auto insurance company you had when the accident occurred.  That company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.

New York has a three year statute of limitations in an auto accident case.  This means a lawsuit to recover compensation for personal injury and/or property damage in an auto accident must be filed within three years of the date of the accident.

An exception is that if the person filing the lawsuit was a minor when the auto accident occurred, he/she has three years from the date of turning eighteen to file the lawsuit.

If a lawsuit is NOT filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations, the person has lost his/her rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption