If I had an american express with my fiance and I used my card to buy things, am I responsible?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had an american express with my fiance and I used my card to buy things, am I responsible?

I had an american express with my fiance. My name on one and his on the other. I used my card to buy things and now since we are splitting up he wants me to pay the bill after he originally agreed to pay the bills. Can he charge me criminally?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your fiance' cannot charge you with a crime. Only the district attorney's office can. He can make a police report about you and the American express card but most likely law enforcement will deem it a civil matter and not recommend the filing of a criminal complaint against you.

If your name is on a credit card, then you should be responsible for paying the charges on it regardless of whose name is actually responsible for paying on the particular credit card account. If the finance' agreed to pay for the charges you made, then that is a different matter. He should pay for what you charged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption