I had an accident without having insurance and the damage is $41,000, will the insurer of the person who’s car I hit go after my house?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I had an accident without having insurance and the damage is $41,000, will the insurer of the person who’s car I hit go after my house?

We have been in our home for 24 years. I cannot pay $41,000.

Asked on February 14, 2019 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you were at fault in causing the accident, you are liable for the costs or damage of the accident. If you are sued and were at fault, the person suing you--the driver you hit, or their insurer if the insurer paid them and is suing to recover what they paid out--will presumably get a judgment against you for that amount. If they do and you still do not pay or work some payment plan to which they agree, they can use the judgment to garnish your wages or put a lien on your home. We cannot say whether they will do this--only that they could.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption