If I had a wreck how do I know if what my insurance company is offering me is a reasonable settlement?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a wreck how do I know if what my insurance company is offering me is a reasonable settlement?

I had a wreck about a month and it wasn’t my fault. The guy who pulled out in front of me didn’t have insurance. I was badly hurt and was sent to my local ER. I need to know if $2500 is a reasonable amount for a settlement? They also paid $9000 in medical bills to the hospital. Should I speak with a personal injury attorney? In Knoxville, TN.

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Accident Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Definitely speak with a personal injury attorney. If you suffered significant and lost-lasting pain, disability, disfigurement, inability to normal life functions, etc.,  you should get pain and suffering. While there is no hard-and-fast rule--every case is different--typically, the pain and suffering award would be more than 1/3 of the medical costs. In addition, you may be entitled to lost wages (if any) and reimbursement for your car and other property which was damaged or destroyed (if you've not already received reimbursement or insurance--you can't recover twice for the same loss). Again, every case is different, but with $9k in medical bills, you may be owed more; it would be worth your while to consult with an experienced attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption