If I had a tubal ligation but Iam now pregnant again, can I sue the doctor?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a tubal ligation but Iam now pregnant again, can I sue the doctor?

The tubal was performed 6 weeks after m last  baby was born. At the time of the procedure I was not pregnant but now, not even 6 months later, I am. I already have 4 children and am low income. Do I have grounds for a lawsuit?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible to file a medical malpractice action against the doctor that performed your tubal ligation where you are pregnant after the fact. Whether you will succeed is another matter. You first need to read carefully all documentation that you signed concerning this procedure regarding any disclaimers.

After that, you need to consult with a medical malpractice attorney and have him or her retain a medical malpractice expert to determine if the doctor who did the surgery for you fell below the standard of care of a health care practioner in the state you reside in.

Your potential dmamges assuming liability is established is the costs of a new surgery and potentially associated pain and suffering as a result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption