If I had a restaurant 7 years ago but had to close it due to financial loss, should I file bankruptcy if a creditor is after me?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a restaurant 7 years ago but had to close it due to financial loss, should I file bankruptcy if a creditor is after me?

One of the creditors apparently filed suit and obtained a judgment on me and the business. I was told before I knew about this, that no creditor could get money from me. Now I am worried. I don’t have the funds to pay them and the court is requesting all financial information and other documents. Should I go ahead and file bankruptcy to get this and any other past creditors off my back?

Asked on January 11, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether you should file bankruptcy, in fact whether you even qualify to file for bankruptcy protection, depends on a lot of factors.  These include your assets, your debts, your income and other things as well.  You may have had a defense to this lawsuit, but it sounds like you did nothing and allowed a default judgment to be entered against you.  You should consult an attorney to find out a) whether there is any way to get the judgment overturned and b) whether bankruptcy is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption