What to do if I have 40 hours of community service still to complete and my court date is coming up?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have 40 hours of community service still to complete and my court date is coming up?

I’m not on probation; it’s for the first offenders program. I started a full-time job after it had happened, had trouble finding somewhere to do it, since most all the places I went to or called said it had to be through a probation officer to do it there. I found somewhere to do it but I’ve been waiting over a month on the paperwork to go through. How likely would it be that the judge would grant me an extension in time to complete it?

Asked on October 29, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is not possible to predict whether or not the judge will grant you an extension of time to complete the community service.

All you can do is explain to the judge why you were unable to complete the forty hours of community service.  Emphasize that you made a good faith attempt to comply, but due to circumstances beyond your control (difficulty in finding a place which did not require you to go through a probation officer and the paperwork delay after you found a place that allowed you to perform the community service) you haven't yet completed the community service.  Ask for an extension of time to complete the community service.  The judge's initial reaction that you did not complete the community service will be unfavorable, but given the extenuating circumstances, the judge might grant you the extension of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption