What to do if I had a pet and turned it over to the SPCA for temporary housing but they adopted it out?

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had a pet and turned it over to the SPCA for temporary housing but they adopted it out?

I agreed to a pick-up date but they adopted my dog out 1 day prior to pick-up, being less than 2 weeks. I filed a claim against them.

Asked on November 24, 2012 under Business Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with the person in charge of the SPCA to see what he or she will do about getting your pet delivered back to you since the adoption was clearly a mistake. If you get no recourse, then you should consult with a consumer law attorney for assistance where you might need to file suit against the SPCA and the person who adopted the animal if he or she will not voluntarily return it to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption