What to do if I had a personal injury settlement after being hit by a car as a pedestrian that did not account for all of my expenses?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had a personal injury settlement after being hit by a car as a pedestrian that did not account for all of my expenses?

All medical bills that I occurred were forwarded to my attorney and a settlement was reached with my provider at the time, Medicaid. I recently discovered that I had a large bill in collections from the EMS service that airlifted me that I never received any bills for. I was wondering what action I can take for this situation.

Asked on October 1, 2014 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You might not be able to do anything about it. If the settlement agreement provided that the settlement you received was payment in full of all claims and/or that you could not sue or otherwise bring any additional claims, then you would be bound by the terms of the settlement--which is an enforceable contract--and be unable to seek compensation or reimbursement for this bill. On the other hand, if their was no settlement agreement precluding you from seeking further compensation if other costs were later discovered, you could go to the driver and/or his/her insurer and seek the additional amount, including possibly by bringing a legal action, if necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption