If I had a Parent Plus loan and was in an accident so the payment was deferred, will I have to repay that loan ifI can only work part-time?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a Parent Plus loan and was in an accident so the payment was deferred, will I have to repay that loan ifI can only work part-time?

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is no general answer to your question--the answer depends entirely on the terms of the loan. If the loan agreement(s) provide that you don't have to repay the loan if or when you can only work part-time, then you do not need to repay it; but in the absence of such a term or condition, you will need to repay. When someone takes out a loan, he or she must repay it no matter what happens in or to his or her life, unless and only to the extent that there is some clause or condition in the loan allowing him or her to not repay.

That doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't try to work something out with the lender or loan servicer (partial foregiveness? more deferment? a stretched-out payment schedule?) but that it is likely that you can be required to repay, unless you can voluntarily work something out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption