If I had a judgment against me regarding a medical bill, can I call the attorney and set up payments?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a judgment against me regarding a medical bill, can I call the attorney and set up payments?

Asked on August 8, 2011 Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if there is a judgment against you that you wish to pay off by all means you can contact the judgment creditor's attorney and work out an arrangement for monthly installments that you can afford. Make sure that any agreement that is entered into is in writing signed and dated by you and the judgment creditor so that there is no misunderstandings in the future.

Most judgment creditors are more than willing to work out a reasonable monthly payment agreement with the judgment creditor if it appears that the payments will remain consistent.

You need to realize that a judgment accrues interest at your state's legal rate on the unpaid balance.

When the judgment is paid in full, make sure you receive a signed and filed satisfaction of judgment in full from the judgment creditor showing that your obilgation is paid off.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption