If I had a heart attack last year and now the hospital is suing me for unpaid medical bills, what are my options?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a heart attack last year and now the hospital is suing me for unpaid medical bills, what are my options?

I am employed but cannot afford to pay them. What are my options besides bankruptcy?

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your first option is to contact the hopsital's accounts receivables department as to the possibility of making monthly payments on your bill (assuming you have no medical insurance to cover you) in an amount that you can afford as well as to discuss the possibility of reducing the principal amount claimed owed.

If that tactic does not work and you simply do not have the money to pay what is owed as well as other expenses, from what you have written it seems that you need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption