What to do if I had a family member steal money from me and he has yet to return all of it?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had a family member steal money from me and he has yet to return all of it?

They refuse to even speak to me now and I want my money back. I have past emails indicating that he would give me the money but that was 2 months ago and I still have yet to get a cent. What legal options do I have?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You could sue your family member for conversion.  Conversion is theft.  Conversion is the unauthorized  assumption and exercise of ownership over the personal property (which includes money) belonging to another  to the exclusion of the owner's rights.  Conversion is any unauthorized act which deprives an owner of his property permanently or for an indefinite time.

Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the return of the total amount that was stolen. 

In addition to your lawsuit for conversion, you could pursue a separate criminal case in which you could pursue criminal charges of larceny.  Larceny is the trespassory taking and carrying away of the personal property of another with the intent to permanently deprive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption