How do I answer an employment application if I had a UI a few years ago?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I answer an employment application if I had a UI a few years ago?

I went through classes, paid a fine, etc. and my lawyer told me I could answer no if an application asked if I was convicted of a felony. I have a work application asking if I was ever arrested or indicted for a felony. Do I have to answer yes to that?

Asked on December 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The issue is whether it was a felony that you were charged with; if the UI was a felony, then even if you ultimately only had to do classes, pay a fine, etc. (i.e. no jail time), then you'd have to truthfully answer that yes, you were indicted of a felony. If the charge was not a felony offense, then you can truthfully say no, you never were. So the key is what the charge had been, not what the outcome was, since regardless of the outcome, you were indicted of the original charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption