I had a credit card go to collections in 2001 now they are calling me about getting a judgement on it.Whats this mean?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I had a credit card go to collections in 2001 now they are calling me about getting a judgement on it.Whats this mean?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Washington State lawyer, but my research suggests that the time limit on a suit on a written contract, in your state, is six years, which would have run out on this account in 2007.

So, if I'm right, what this means is that the collection agency is bluffing, because the only way to get a judgment is to sue you, and it's too late.  One of the things we are seeing, in this difficult economy, is a serious increase in this sort of thing.

Don't argue with them if they call you again, just hang up, not a word.  You should also talk to an attorney in your area, to confirm what your rights are here, based on all of the facts of your case, including anything you haven't included in your question here.  It's possible that your rights under the fair debt collections practices laws have been violated, and if so, you could turn around and sue them!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption