What to do if I had a car accident 3 years ago but only just found out that Ihave been sued?

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had a car accident 3 years ago but only just found out that Ihave been sued?

Both the other person and I were OK at the scene afterward. Neither of us were issued citations or tickets by the investigating officer. My car was determined to be totaled by my insurance company. I recently check my credit report and discovered that I have been sued by the other driver and passenger that was in the car. I was never subpoeaned so I had no knowledge of the suit. What can I do to get this off of my credit report, especially since neither one of us were determined to be at fault?

Asked on February 5, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against you and you never even knew you were sued (and presumably, lost by default, by not appearing), then you may be able to have the judgment set aside on the grounds you were never properly served. Speak with an attorney about the best way to do this.

If there is no judgment against you yet, but there is a lawsuit, the first thing to do is to get a copy of  the papers (i.e. the complaint) from the other side. Armed with that, you can see how much they are seeking and decide whether to pay, fight, try to settle, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption