I had a accident using a friends car

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I had a accident using a friends car

I had a accident using a friends car the insurance is
covering most of the claim but they dont have
enough to cover all. A lawyer contacted me for
insurance information. I have no car no insurance
and Im homeless. What can I do. And if they dont
have the additional money what will happen to them

Asked on January 28, 2019 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There really is not much you can do: if you were at fault (i.e. driving negligently or carelessly) in causing the accident, you can be held liable (that is, be sued) for the cost of the accident. If there was another driver whose car you hit, he or she can sue you for any amounts not paid out by insurance; and any insurance company, including your friend's, which pays out on a claim from this accident can sue you to recover the amounts they pay. That you have no insurance does not mean you cannot be sued; it just means you have no insurance to pay for you. If you have no money, it may be they can't get anything from you now, but they can get a judgement against you which can potentially be enforced for years to come (i.e. if and when you have or get money, they can use the judgment to force you to pay).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption