If I had a accident and my insurance won’t cover all the damage to the other vehicle, what options do I have?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a accident and my insurance won’t cover all the damage to the other vehicle, what options do I have?

I am a minimum wage college student.

Asked on December 3, 2013 under Accident Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First, be aware that unless you are sued, you don't have to do anything--you do not have to pay unless you are sued and lose. If you are sued:

1) You can try to settle, or come to an agreement to pay an amount you can afford (and/or to stretch payment out over a long period of time); however, be aware that settling is voluntary for the other side, and they may not agree to an amount you can afford.

2) You can simply let them sue you, defend yourself as best you can (no lawyer fees) then either ignore the judgment for  now--if you don't have anything, they can't take anything--or possibly declare bankrupty. Either way, your credit will be ruined for years, but you won't have to pay the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption