I had $15,000 in an IRA in 2000 that was converted to a Roth when the market peaked. Now it is worth $9000. But I am liable for the income tax on the value of the IRA at the time of the rollover–$15,000. How can I reduce my liability? What was the 2010 IRA conversion rule changes?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

For 2000 year returns, many folks are in the same position. But Uncle Sam allows you to “recharacterize” the conversion. That means simply that you have until Oct. 15, 2001 to switch anything you rolled into a Roth in 2000 into a traditional IRA. If you convert back, you must wait at least 30 days before you can reconvert to a Roth. In your case, this means that you will be taxed only on the $9,000 (or whatever the value of the IRA is at the time of the rollover to the Roth).

The downside: recharacterization rules only allow one Roth conversion a year.

2010 change: New in this calendar year, a taxpayer can convert an existing traditional IRA to a tax-friendly Roth and spread the federal income taxes due on the converted amount equally over two years, 2011 and 2012. (You can choose to include the entire amount in income in 2010.) This is a one-time option as conversions in subsequent years are included in tax in the year of conversion. The previous income cap and the filing status requirements for upper income taxpayers was eliminated.


Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption