If I got suspended from my job and don’t know why, doI have a right to know why?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got suspended from my job and don’t know why, doI have a right to know why?

And I need my paycheck; can I get it?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) Unfortunately, you do not have a right to know why you were suspended; just as an employer may fire an employee at any time, for any reason, and is not required to provide an explanation, so, too, can the employer suspend someone at any time, for any reason, without explaining why. (The exception is if there is any employment or union agreement; if there is, the employer may only take action which conforms with the contract's requirements.)

2) You must be paid for all work done up to when you were suspended. If the employer will not provide a paychck for work you did, you could file a lawsuit (including in small claims court, acting as your own attorney) or try contacting your state department of labor for help.

However, whether you need your paycheck or not, the employer does not need to pay you for the time you are suspended, so you are only entitled to be paid for up to when the suspension occured.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption