If I got into an accident with a friend’s car, who should have to pay for damage to the other vehicle – me or him?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got into an accident with a friend’s car, who should have to pay for damage to the other vehicle – me or him?

I had a verbal agreement with my friend that I would make payments every month for the cost of the other vehicle but I never saw any paper work. Then last year I told him I had money to finish paying it for it I just wanted to see what was left to pay he told me that he didn’t think I had anything left to pay and he couldn’t get a hold of anyone. Now he is telling me that I still owe after almost a year of not hearing anything. Do I actually have to pay?

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you were at fault in the accident, your friend as the registered owner of the vehicle is liable for the damage (cost of repairs to the other car).  Your friend should have notified his insurance company and his insurance company would have handled the entire matter.  If your friend didn't have insurance, he could be sued for the damage to the other car in a lawsuit filed against him.  You would also be named as a defendant in the lawsuit since you were the driver.   Your friend could sue you to recover what he paid for the other car's repairs and could sue you for the damage to his (your friend's) car.

It would be advisable to have written documentation of the damage to the other car and cost of repairs to see exactly how much is owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption