I got into an accident.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I got into an accident.

I was in a car accident and it was because a truck driver had dropped a load of sand on the road due to not securing his load. He was not present during the accident and my car was totaled. I called the company where he got the sand from and they gave me his first name and number. I’m not sure what to do next in this situation it is my first accident and the at-fault party was not present. Also, I didn’t have insurance at the time.

Asked on February 6, 2018 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you can obtain the name of the trucking company, you can file a claim with its insurance carrier for the property damage (loss of your vehicle). 
If the case is settled with the insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the trucking company's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit against the trucking company and the truck driver for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable trucking company / truck driver would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
The fact that you did not have auto insurance is irrelevant because the other party was at fault.
If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit against the trucking company and truck driver must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption