I got into a car accident with no insurance, would it be worth it to fight it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I got into a car accident with no insurance, would it be worth it to fight it?

I was in foster care in 2013 in high school and my foster Mom was supposed to be taking care of the car insurance, I was to give her money and she would pay it. I got into an accident and they are trying to sue me for 9,000 and counting. New Link Destination
day they are saying I need to pay this or they are suspending my license. Do you think it would be worth it or even possible to try fighting this? Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

Asked on July 8, 2016 under Accident Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your license can be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles for driving without insurance.  Your license can be reinstated upon providing proof of insurance.
As for the lawsuit, you will be held liable for being at fault in the accident. It is not worth litigating the case and incurring attorney's fees.  Therefore, you might want to consider filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 is straight liquidation which will eliminate a court judgment against you from the auto accident.  It would be premature to file bankruptcy until you know the total amount of the judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption