What will happen if I had an accident and had been drinking?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I had an accident and had been drinking?

I got into a car accident and hit a house. My car is totaled and the garage is damaged, as well as a car. ambulance was called. The police came but I did not talk to them. The ambulance attendants tried a breathalyzer but I couldn’t do it due to an injury to my mouth. I went to the hospital. The police came there but again did not speak to me. My blood was taken and I was okay. I was drinking but did not disclose that. Will I be arrested, lose my licence or my job? I work for the railroad.

Asked on September 19, 2015 under Accident Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can be arrested, since DUI is a criminal offense in your state. You could get jail time--and given the damage you did, that is not unlikely. You could have your license suspended for up to one year. Whether you lose your job or not is up to your employer--the law does not require that someone loses their job, but employers have discretion to fire people for DUI as long as there is not a written employment contract preventing that. You could also be sued by the homeowner for the cost to repair their garage and fix or total depending on the extent of the damage their car. 
You need to retain an attorney to help you. Hire one with DUI defense experience in your town or country--i.e. someone who knows the judges and prosecutors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption