If I got into a car accident and the car was totaled, what is my responsibility regarding the car having been towed?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got into a car accident and the car was totaled, what is my responsibility regarding the car having been towed?

I sustained no injures; no other vehicles but my own were involved in the incident and I have full coverage insurance. The car was taken to a yard. The insurance company refused to continue with the claim until I removed the car myself from the yard. I was also told by my insurer after filing a claim, to pay the storage fees and that it would reimburse me for towing and storage fees. However, now it has refused to pay me back until it finished its investigation. It wants me to be responsible for collecting the police reports as well. This doesn’t seem right to me. Should I hire an attorney?

Asked on September 24, 2014 under Accident Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  What you need to do is read your policy - specifically these sections that apply to your situation - and go from there.  Generally speaking, the policy requires your "cooperation" in helping the company obtain details, etc.  Often they can not get the police report when the report is still with the police station.  They have to wait until it is filed with the State.  So your getting it to them helps speed up the process.  If you feel that there are issues you are having with them you can file a complaint with your state insurance department.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption