If I got hurt at work, what options do I have?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got hurt at work, what options do I have?

I got hurt 8 months ago on my job. I ended up having to have surgery done on both of my hands. After months of being off work I finally got released by the work comp doctor. I went back to work and was unable to do the job and they let me go because my hands hurt to bad. After a few more months the doctor finally told me I would never be able to do factory work again. He also told me that he was going to let the company know that I have lost 5% of my hands and I guess that equals 3% of my whole body. I cannot do a lot of things I use to be able to do. One major thing was using the mouse on my computer. I could not use it any more. So, I had to go trade my year old computer in on a laptop because the laptop does not have a mouse. I still cannot open jars. It has just been a mess since the beginning. Is there anything I can do? I do not know what else to do because factory work is all I know.

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were injured at work and have a documented on the job injury where you cannot return to the type of work you were doing pre-injury, you are entitled to work related benefits as the result of the injury such as retraining for the type of work that you are capable of doing now as well as additional compensation under the Worker's Compensation Act.

For getting additional information as how you proceed, I recommend that you consult with an attorney that practices law in the worker's compensation field. This should be done sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption