If I got divorced only 10 years ago and my former spouse has yet to turn over some assets, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got divorced only 10 years ago and my former spouse has yet to turn over some assets, what can I do?

In my divorce settlement I was entitled to a lump sum to equalize our retirement accounts, but my spouse never turned it over. She is being a pain and I’d like to protect my rights to getting this resolved. What is the best course of action for me to take as the divorce approaches its 10th anniversary?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  You have surely been a patient man.  Your settlement agreement is a contract between the two of you.  Your rights and obligations are written in that contract.  If your ex wife has yet to fulfill her obligations then she is in breach of the contract.  Additionally, if the settlement was incorporated by reference and made a part of the order of divorce, she is in contempt of the order.  Judge's do not like it when the parties ignore their orders.  I would seek help from an attorney to enforce the settlement and to hold her in contempt. Hauling her back in to court will make her stand up and take notice.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption