s there anything that I can do if I got caught stealing $60 shoes but the store is sending me a $400 bill?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

s there anything that I can do if I got caught stealing $60 shoes but the store is sending me a $400 bill?

I think they are charging me so high because I’m white and live in a rich area.

Asked on January 25, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can refuse to pay and force them to sue you for the money, at which time they'd have to prove the cost of the shoes and other charges they are seeking to collect. Of  course, if you do that and they do sue: 1) you'll have to spend time (and money, if you hire an attorney; or money indirectly, as in time out of work) to defend yourself; 2) there will be a public record of you being sued and presumably being found liable (even if only for a lesser amount) for stealing. Also, they choose to report the theft to the police, if they haven't already. All in all, paying them the extra $340, if they will also sign a document that they will not take any further action against you, may be, comparatively speaking, a bargin.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption