I got a traffic citation for several violations and one of the was no proof of insurance but I did have insurance at the time that was in my fathers name.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I got a traffic citation for several violations and one of the was no proof of insurance but I did have insurance at the time that was in my fathers name.

I was stopped for driving 10 mph over the
speed limit. 30 and I was going 40, and I didnt
have a drivers license or proof of insurance. I
didnt want to show the cop that the proof of
insurance was under my dads name because I
thought it would be the same as no insurance,
but could I show it to the court and have that
citation dismissed?

Asked on December 30, 2017 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you present evidence that you did, in fact, have insurance coverage, then some prosecutors will just dismiss the charge without you ever having to explain the situation to the judge.  
For the speeding ticket, see what they offer you before you decide to challenge the ticket.  Sometimes, the prosecutor will offer deals that provide for a dismissal and removal of the charge from your record.  A condition, but guaranteed, dismissal is always better than gambling on a conviction that is harder to remove off of your record.  Your second option is to reject the plea offer, ask that your case be set for trial, and then hope that the office does not appear for trial....thereby requiring the prosecutor to dismiss the charges for lack of evidence.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption