What to do if I got a phone call from a detective saying he would like to question me about something that happened to my friend?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got a phone call from a detective saying he would like to question me about something that happened to my friend?

I told a teacher at school that I know what’s going on and he told the detective. I told my friend and she told me everything she said was a lie but now I’m already in the case because of it. Sense she said that can I refuse to answer any questions? I have the text messages.

Asked on March 18, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A defendant has the right to refuse to answer any question that could hurt him/her at a trial later.  However, this right does not apply to witnesses.  You can tell the detective that you don't have anything to say-- however, you could potentially be called to a later criminal proceeding and be required to tell what you know.  To save yourself a lot of headache, it's better to tell the officer what you know and what you don't know.  If you are a minor, you can and should request that your parents be present to make sure that the questioning remains appropriate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption