What to do about an out of state DUI and drug charges?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an out of state DUI and drug charges?

I got a DUI out of state. Will I still be required to go to court in the state that issued the ticket? Also, I can’t afford an attorney so how do I go about requesting a public defender? I was arrested for DUI, drugs and possession of marijuana.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with the public defender's office in the county and state where you have pending criminal charges against you to see if you can obtain legal representation from such office. If you cannot get such, you need to retain a private criminal defense attorney to represent you in this out of state matter. If you fail to appear at the court hearings, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption