What should I do if I got a disorderly person charge?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I got a disorderly person charge?

This is my first charge ever; I have never been arrested or even ticketed with speeding. I woke up in the hospital with no memory of what happened the night before. I have a court date but the box is not checked saying I have to go. I live far from AC so if I can pay a fine somehow and not go to court that is what I would prefer. I’m very scared after reading up on this charge. Not sure what I can do.

Asked on December 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


Joel Bacher / The Law Offices of Joel Bacher

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You must get competent local counsel.  A disorderly persons offense is a criminal charge and requires a 5 year wait period before it can be expunged.  A finding of guilty or a plea of guilty will give you a criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption