What will happen if I accidentally gave a police officer the wrong proof of insurance after being pulled over?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I accidentally gave a police officer the wrong proof of insurance after being pulled over?

It was an expired card. I had the correct card in my car at the time but didn’t notice until it was too late and was already given the ticket. If I show that I did have insurance at the time of the violation in court will I be able to get the case dismissed? I have a clean driving record, no tickets or violations.

Asked on December 16, 2013 under Insurance Law, Rhode Island


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should be able to get the matter dismissed without a problem but you will need to contact the court clerk and see what you need to do. Some will allow you to fax the proof of insurance and dismiss and others will require you to attend a hearing with proof to allow you to have the matter dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption