What to do if I gave my boyfriend money toward the purchase of a motor home for the both of us, but he left and has not given me my money?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I gave my boyfriend money toward the purchase of a motor home for the both of us, but he left and has not given me my money?

I have the cancelled check; $6500. I gave him toward the purchase of the motor home. He lived with me for 4 years. A month later her moved out and sold the motorhome. He refuses to give me my money back.

Asked on December 30, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should consult with an attorney, since you need someone to evaluate the situation in all its details. Basically, there are three possibilities, which depend on the facts, context, etc.:

1) The money you gave him was a gift; if it was, he has no obligation to give you anything.

2) The money you gave him was a loan; if it was and you can prove its terms, it needs to  be repaid in accordance with those terms.

3) The money you gave him was your share of the purchase price--you were buying the motorhome together. In that case, you should get that portion of the proceeds of the sale representing your share. (For example, say the home cost $26k and you paid 1/4 of it; you should get 1/4 of the proceeds.)

The outcomes differ substantially, so what matters are legally, what were the terms under which you gave him the money, and practically, what can you show or prove (e.g. what evidence do you have). That's why you need to discuss this in detail with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption