What to do about damages that my landlord wants to charge me for?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about damages that my landlord wants to charge me for?

I gave my landlord a two month notice per my lease with this month’s rent. He insisted on an immediate walk-through, I know the apartment was clean other than packed boxes. He accepted my 2 month notice but now sent me an email stating that I owe him 5k in damages and asked how I’m going to take care of that. Also, said that I need to pay next month’s rent in full on time or he will lock me out and he wants me to leave on the 18th of next month. I admit, as the result of a candle exploding in my hand, there is wax on the living room carpet. However, when I moved in the screen door was ripped nd a receptacle was loose but he wants me to pay for repainting and recarpeting the entire apartment and for holes the last tenant left. What are my rights?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) You do not have to move until the expiration of your lease, the end of the notice period which the landord accepted, or some other day the two of two mutually agreed upon--the landlord may not simply demand you move by a certain date other than those.

2) You may only be evicted for good cause, through the courts; the landlord can't simply evict you or lock you out if you are late on rent. He needs to take you to court to evict you.

3) You are legally responsible for any damage you did, or extraordinary cleaning (e.g. removing wax from carpet) that you require to be done--but not for anything done by prior tenants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption