What to do if I gave my classic car to a guy to paint and he took the car car apart but never finished the job?

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I gave my classic car to a guy to paint and he took the car car apart but never finished the job?

I lent him money over a 3 year period to help him get along so he would paint the car. He also kept telling me he was getting an insurance settlement and would pay me back. Turns out he was lying about he settlement and was not ever going to receive one. He also never finished my car. What can he be charged with?

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you only loaned him money and did not prepay him to paint the car, you can not sue him for breach of contract.  You can sue over his failure to repay the debt, depending on what the agreement was for the time frame for the payback.  There is no crime here with which he can be "charged."  There are no debtors' prisons anymore.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption