What to do if I gave a ex-girlfriend’s kid my gaming system but made it clear that if we broke up it’s mine?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I gave a ex-girlfriend’s kid my gaming system but made it clear that if we broke up it’s mine?

Now she said it’s a present and I can’t have it.

Asked on November 20, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

How can you conditionally give a child a gaming system? Either you gave it or you did not. If you did not, you loaned the child the gaming system.

However your question states that the gaming system was given to the child. Once a gift is given to the person for whom the gift is for, the act is complete and the giver of the present no longer has any rights to the present.

In your situation, it seems that you gave the child a present of the gaming system. Whether you conditioned it as a present with your girlfriend was not a condition you made to the child. The gaming system is now the child's.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption