If I found rat feces in a bag of cheese curls that I have been snacking on for about 3 days, what kind of action should I take?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I found rat feces in a bag of cheese curls that I have been snacking on for about 3 days, what kind of action should I take?

I have been sick for the past 2 days but brushed it off as a virus. Now not so sure. Definitely sick now that I found feces in food I have been eating.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Personal Injury, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if a bag of food is adulterated or contaminated by some harmful or foreign material--such as, for example, rate droppings--you may be able to sue some combination of the manufacturer (if that's where the contamination came in), the distributor (if the droppings got in at that stage), or the seller/retailer/etc. (if it was when the bag was in the store that it was contaminated).

The question becomes whether it is worthwhile suing. If you have not incurred significant medical bills, have not lost much work/wages, and will not suffer some long term detriment, it's probably not worth a lawsuit. The law provides compensation for actual injuries suffered; if you "only" feel sick for a few days but have not suffered other costs or damage, it's likely that the cost of a lawsuit would exceed what you could recover.

That said, you can contact the various parties described above and see if any will offer you compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption