What to do if I was not notified that I found out my estranged father died?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was not notified that I found out my estranged father died?

I was shocked that no one tried to contact me, especially since a search would have been very easy. In addition I have 2 sisters and neither of them were notified either. Do I have any rights to his estate? Did they have the right to cremate him? According to the funeral home the only next of kin shown was his sister. I contacted his sister (which is how I found out about the death) but it was as if she was reluctant to give me details.

Asked on January 16, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately get an attorney and run an initial search to see what assets he had. Then you and your sisters need to file in probate to open probate on him and obtain his assets. You may need to consider suing his sister as it seems like she may have taken the gains (hence why you were not notified). If he had a will, however, that specifically excluded you and your sisters, then you need to find out if this was the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption