Divorce procedures question.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce procedures question.

I filed for a divorce on April 1st and my husband did not respond. I was ordered to pay the fees by May 30th, and I did so.  What is going to happen now?

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your husband has failed to file an answer to your divorce petition with the court after he was officially served with the divorce papers, then a default judgment for divorce can be entered. Remember that after you file your petition for divorce with the court, you must serve those papers to your husband and he then has a certain amount of time to respond (answer) to the petition.

You will have to fill out and file other forms in order to get the default divorce judgment granted and entered. Contact the court where you filed your petition for further information. Different courts sometimes require their own forms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption