If Ifiled for a divorce 6 months ago and have a status conference this month, what happens if my husband does not appear?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ifiled for a divorce 6 months ago and have a status conference this month, what happens if my husband does not appear?

My spouse does not want to appear at court but I want to be sure that the divorce is finalized. If he doesn’t show up is the case dismissed and I have to file all over again or am I granted the divorce automatically because he didn’t show? Also, he did not respond when I filed initially, no contest.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Family Law, California


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, if a party does not show up at the pretrial/status conference, the court has to option to finalize the divorce on that date.  Basically, the court will ask you what you are looking for and you can tell the judge. (You win by default).  In certain cases, the judge may go ahead and schedule the matter for a trial date, rather than entering the default against the other party.  If neither party shows up, then the case would be dismissed and you would have to refile the divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption