If I filed a police report because somebody threw a cigarette bud in my eye, what happens next?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I filed a police report because somebody threw a cigarette bud in my eye, what happens next?

Will the person be arrested? Will nothing happen to this person? The police know who it is and there was witness but the witnesses are this person’s friends and neighbors so they are not likely to tell the truth. Although 2 of the officers saw the ashes in my eye but I am not sure if they put that in the report..I was told since there was no bodily injury then it was pretty much a lost cause. Can I do anything?

Asked on July 27, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is probably nothing you can do.

1) If the police believe it may have been accident, they won't act, because an accident is not criminal.

2) Even if the police think it was or may have been deliberate, the authorities have limited resources; they will likely not spend the manpower/time on investigating, arresting, etc. when, with no injury, the person would likely face no real punishment anyway.

3) If you were not injured, there's not point in suing--in a lawsuit, you can only recover an amount equivalent to the injury and costs you sustain.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption