I filed a complaint for divorce pro se, do I have to go to court?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I filed a complaint for divorce pro se, do I have to go to court?

I filed a complaint for divorce a month ago pro se because I could not afford an attorney. So my 30 days are almost up. What’s next? Do I have to go to court to get the final divorce decree signed? I work and most everyone I know work. It’s going to be hard to find a witness to go to court during the week. Other people have said they did not have to appear in court. I’m not from this area, and my sources of witness are limited. What can I do? I really want to get this finalized before the end of the month. I plan on moving.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Family Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you ultimately have to go and appear in court with respect to the marital dissolution petition that you filed "pro se" depends upon several factors. They are:

1. the local rules of the court where you did the filing;

2. whether your soon to be former spouse will cooperate and agree to the issues with respect to your dissolution and sign the necessary paperwork for filing;

3. whether your matter is ordered to mediation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption